..:: Kellog ::..

kellykellysingapussy

Saturday, April 16, 2005

City of God

We watched City of God last night. Simply an astounding movie. Makes the kids in Kids look like Singaporean kids. Ok that was disrespectful. Sorry.

But City of God...damn! Top-notch. Go watch it. Oh wait, our censorship board would have banned it. Because it has stuff like nudity, sex, violence and *gasp* drugs. It makes me soooo sad that I'd have missed out on great shows like that if I actually obeyed Nanny Censorship.

"Singapore Censorship Board Promotes Piracy!"

Will I get into trouble for this proclamation? Because really, the only way to get to watch great shows like that is to get the pirated DVDs!
kellykelly, 4/16/2005 01:16:00 am

4 Comments:

City of God has been on sale for some time in mainstream shops in Singapore, truth be told.

And if you don't want to resort to piracy (hah!), you can always try Djangos. Selection, service and prices are good... especially with the low US$ now.

I should definitely let you see my foreign films DVD collection. All either purchased from London or Djangos. City of God is still on my "to buy" list. Now to see if I can somehow find A History of Sex ( a documentary on sex and the history of the Catholic Church, set in Amsterdam). It was originally on the S'pore Film Fest list for this year, but, sadly, has been banned...
Anonymous Dominique, at 4/16/2005 03:18:00 pm  
Yup, apart from being widely available in the shops now, City Of God also had a run in Singapore cinemas, and I think it was even rescreened a few months ago at Cineleisure. Glad you liked it so much, it's definitely up there in my top five. Kids isn't though...good film and all, but I could happily never watch it again.

I would also highly recommend Django. I've been using them since 2000, have had well over 30 transactions with them, and don't even want to think about how much money I've given them.
Anonymous Michelle, at 4/16/2005 04:05:00 pm  
but won't the City of God sold in the shops have the proud Singapore Censorship Board chop on the front??

If they ship in from US, the censors can still randomly select it (if you are suay enough...i kena before) and get you to pay for their censorship before you retreive it....
Blogger kellykelly, at 4/17/2005 10:53:00 pm  
Uh huh,City of God's been around in stores. And what an awesome film,ya?

Noticed its tendency towards European Art Cinema, e.g. its factual take on sexual matter otherwise deemed too risque for mainstream audiences and the relative complexity of the characters. Would have loved to catch "Pin Boy" (Argentina)at the SFF to see more of South American cinema. But for procastination...dammit!

And censorship is just rubbish,really.
Anonymous swoosh, at 4/18/2005 11:17:00 pm  

Add a comment